Friday, February 6, 2015

A Short Week, Yet Not Short on Insanity

During today's spelling test...

Me:  The word is "badminton."  You know, the game you play with long-handled racquets, a net, and a little plastic birdie.

Student:  I play with real birds.  Hawks.

Note to self:  do not play badminton at this kid's house.


And during a rousing game of Apples to Apples...

Me:  Okay, the word is "flavorful."

*Students bring me cards, and I start reading through them*

Me:  "Desert"?  A desert would not be particularly flavorful.  I think maybe you meant dessert with two s's.  Maybe we need to review the differences between the two homonyms.

Student from that group:  Oh, we know the difference.  We were just hoping you wouldn't.

Apparently my 18 years of experience as a language arts teacher and a relatively well-educated person has gone unremarked.




No comments:

Post a Comment