Tuesday, February 2, 2016

I Am Officially Old

If you have ever met seventh graders, you will know that they are easily distracted.  Especially by clip art in presentations.  I have apparently not learned this lesson in my eighteen years of teaching them because today's PowerPoint contained not only clip art, but MOVING clip art!  What on earth could I have been thinking?

Rather than writing down what they were supposed to be writing down, students wanted to know important details such as, "How did you get the clip art to move?"

"Magic," I replied with a wave of my hand.  "Duh."

Then they wanted to know why the cartoon characters did not appear to have a waist.  And what the cartoon character was writing.  And why they couldn't read the writing.  And so on and so forth until I was about ready to delete all remnants of clip art so we could continue with the actual lesson.

On the final slide, I made an even bigger mistake.  The example sentence used to demonstrate relative pronouns and relative clauses was, "The person who called me last night is my teacher."  I very cleverly thought that a phone would be an appropriate piece of clip art to illustrate this slide.  It didn't even have any motion--it was just a phone.  Here's what the phone looked like:


Anyone else see where this is going?

"Why are there no numbers on that clock?"

BECAUSE IT'S NOT A CLOCK!  BACK WHEN DINOSAURS ROAMED THE EARTH WHEN I WAS A GIRL, THIS WAS THE ONLY PHONE WE HAD!  AND IT HAD A CORD AND WAS WIRED TO THE WALL!  GET OFF MY LAWN!


*deep cleansing breaths*

No comments:

Post a Comment