Monday, September 20, 2021

Guess Who's Back...Back Again...

 It's been a long time.  *shakes fist at the virus*

But maybe now we need to get back to normal.  And normal is often funny when you teach seventh grade.

One of my jobs is to hold the wing door open in the morning so that the middle school kids can enter the building without cramming through the front door.  It's not bad right now, though I know it will be far less enjoyable once it rains or snows or is cold.  Which I'm sure won't happen in Michigan anytime soon.

Anyways, some of the eighth graders help to open car doors for the little kids during morning drop-off.  They have found that one way to amuse themselves while they work is to give directions to their eighth-grade friends.  Like, "So you're going to turn left and go through the door, then walk all the way down the hall until you see the nice lady teaching math."  Hysterical.  I'm certain their friends are appreciative.

Last week, one of my former students was playing this game with one of his friends.  As he saw me, he said, "Be careful--you don't want to look her directly in the eyes."  Apparently I traumatized the children more than I'd anticipated last year.

Today, a current student approached me and gave me a Mandalorian mask.  For reals!  Ah. Mazing.  So of course I put it on.  And of course I pointed into the hallway as students walked in, saying, "This is the way."  Which is REALLY funny, if you're a Star Wars fan.  Disappointingly, most kids didn't even flinch--even the sixth-graders who are unfamiliar with my randomness.  I mean, it's not every day that Mando welcomes you to middle school. 

So I guess the virus isn't ALL bad....oh wait.  Yes it is, but it was still funny.  And there's a lot more days left in the year.



2 comments:

  1. You are clearly not the teacher you claim to be. Otherwise, you would be perfectly aware that "anyways" is not a word in the English language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I'm just making all this up. Really I sell insurance over the phone.

    ReplyDelete