Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Technically, He's Not Wrong...

It's only the second day of the school year, but I am already getting the feeling that I might be posting more often this year!

As a get-to-know-you/following directions activity, the students have to create a vanity plate that represents themselves.  You know, they look like this:



But because I am a MASTER TEACHER (ha ha ha ha hahahahahaha), I don't just say create a personalized license plate.  I try to get them to figure out what a vanity plate is by using some logical deduction.  They can usually figure out that I am talking about license plates rather than dinner plates, but it's more difficult to get to the definition of vanity.  One student pointed out that a vanity is a piece of furniture.  I agreed with them and asked them to describe a vanity.  The class was able to put together that a vanity is a low dresser with a spot where you can pull up a chair.  And there's a big mirror.

"So why do we call this furniture a 'vanity?'" I asked.  

Blank stares.

"What does 'vanity' mean?"

More blank stares.

"Okay... let's think.  It's called a 'vanity' because of the activity that occurs at it.  Would men or women be more likely to sit down at a vanity?"

Everyone was in instant agreement that women would be more likely to sit there.

"Why?  What might women be doing at the vanity?  Remember, there's a huge mirror on it," I prompted.

A boy in the middle of the room raises his hand and answers, "Taking selfies?"








1 comment: